Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Strobe'n on my mind.

Slowly, all the pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together and this off camera strobing has started to get really interesting. At the time I shot these photos, I shooting with my 40D, a Nikon SB-26 attached with a really long sync cord. I think the flash ran me about $60 bucks and the cord $10 so all in all I have 1 off camera strobe for about $110 with a light stand...not bad I'd say.

These are test shots I did in my living room just to play around and get familiar with lighting and what not. I chose to shoot in front of my living room window cuz I wanted to play around with a strong blacklit source and flash. At first I fired about 10 shots and they all looked crap. I wasn't getting what I was hoping for (although I usually never do with flash photography), but with a swift click, I set my camera on M mode (A mode was blowin the deal) and continued to play around. I was deliberately trying to blow out the background to create an all white background and use flash to fill in the face and create shadows. After about 20 minutes of running back and forth changing the power setting on my flash...I was able to produce something that I didn't mind too much.

Dood, being the camera guy and being the test dummy sucks massive ballz especially when the sync cord would just keep slipping off. Why in the hell did they design it like that? It doesn't even click in. Makes no sense. Engineers can turn 0's and 1's into digital information but can't design a plug that plugs in? Well whatever.... Stay tuned because there is more to come!

No comments: