Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 22nd: Mizuhami Elem Graduation

Lucky for me, this year I was able to attend 2 graduation ceremonies because more often than not, school related ceremonies in Japan are all usually on the same day. I don't know if it really means much to the kids for me to show up in a suit and attend their graduation, but to me...teaching a class with 10 kids for almost 2 years and knowing after they graduate, I would probably never going to see them again.......... To me it meant a lot.

Mizuhami is the newest school in the Tohoku and was built in 2001. There at a total of 62 kids here and 12 of them were graduating this day. What I will remember most about this school years from now is that this was the best singing school of all Tohoku. Not just by a little but by a landslide. Every school visit, they would practice singing before for recess for 15 minutes. After practice they could go and play. They took it seriously because during the town singing demonstration, they had these special choir uniforms. The boys tragically had these shorts there were mighty damn short. They didn't even pass half their thighs! Cute looking, but definitely not steezy. It didn't matter though because once they opened their mouthes, perfect harmony and pitch charismatically filled the room. They sang like little angels. It was touching.
Go Mizuhami!

No comments: