Sunday, March 30, 2008

March 29th: Iwate Night Snowboarding Jam Session

Saturday...the weekend has come and the bad new is.........no waves! So what does this mean? Another weekend at the mountains, but this weekend turned into something really cool and definitely on my "awesome" and "different" kind of weekend adventure.

I got a phone call from one of my snowboard buddies (now also a surfing hommie as well) and he invited me to go adventure down to Iwate prefecture with him and his buddies for a little snow jam session. Since I haven't seen him for a while and Hakkoda spring snow isn't that much fun, I figured doing something new could be what i needed. The event didn't start until 4:20pm so I slept in, gathered my things and headed off to meet Kenichi in Hirosaki around noon. Once everyone arrived, we made our way to Shizukuishi ski grounds which is about a 2.5 hour trip from Hirosaki.

The car ride was goofy and fun, but a little cramped because fitting 5 people and all their snow gear can take up a lot of wasted space. When we finally arrived we changed into our gear and immediately got down to business. After an hour of session'in the box, car jib, and barrels...the night lights came on and the event was in full affect. There was a local DJ playing old school cuts, food and of course beer. The event ended with a raffle and everyone came home with something. The grand prize was a 156cm GRAY snowboard. I really would have loved that! We decided to leave about 11pm and returned to Kenichi's house around 1:30am and it was time for bed.

No comments: